Thursday, June 21, 2012

Oh what a life

Life is ever changing, constantly evolving, continuously surprising and seldom what you expect it to be. A friend recently told me he had learned that in order to be happy, he had to lower his expectations!  In all my short term goals, that seems to be the most appropriate and sound advice.  It simplifies everything.  But when you think 10/20/50 years down the road, that seems so .... sad!

Expectations are the substance in life. Expectations make relationships worthwhile. Expectations fulfill you in ways you would otherwise be dissatisfied. Why then do relationships (friends, family, colleagues) get so complicated? Why do people, more often than not, feel the need to lower their expectations? Why is there a constant need for saving yourself from disappointment?

I have had my share of experiences, disappointments and heartbreaks. I have learned from them and hope to continue doing that.  It makes me a little more cautious each time and forces me to keep my guard up. At the end of the day though, I'm an emotional fool.  Heart is ALL that matters to me.  I will do anything for a person with a good heart and nothing can make me accept a person with the opposite of that.

Perhaps there is a middle ground?  Do what you feel is right, don't expect anything in return and hope for the best? People in your life are the ones that make life full.  Without people, life would be empty. Without expectations, relationships would be empty.

No comments: