Thursday, July 31, 2008

Be happy for others

I read a blog recently that talked about how people find a secret satisfaction in seeing others fail, especially if those people happen to be your competitors. Whether its your friends or co-workers or family members, if they are comparable to you in any way and they do better than you at something it causes a person to feel jealous. I suppose its hard to watch someone else do better than you.

But does feeling good about other's failures not reflect on your own status? If you are happy with your life, would you really feel the need to be unhappy about other's good fortune or feel good about other's misfortune? How does that alter your own life? What difference does it really make to you? If someone else is dumber than you, it might make you feel smarter in the moment but in the long run it would only limit your intelligence. If someone else is poorer than you, it might make you feel rich in comparison but your actual wealth would not change. If someone else is uglier than you, you might feel prettier when you are around them but what happens when you are out among others?

I know its human nature to want the best for yourself, to have that slight competitive spirit, to want to do better than others and succeed in all your endeavors. There is nothing wrong with that but if you focus more on your personal goals & satisfaction versus gauging your success by constant comparison to others, wouldn't you come out happier? When I see my friends and family succeed, I'm genuinely happy for them. I feel proud of the fact that they are in my life. I love to be happy for other's happiness. Everyone deserves a little bliss and joy multiplies with people. I hope people can put aside their own agendas from time to time and enjoy the happiness in being happy for others :)

DON'T WORRY! BE HAPPY!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Inspiring others towards happiness brings you happiness."