Thursday, April 10, 2008

Television Addicts Anonymous

I am addicted to TV. I can seriously spend a whole week watching TV nonstop, only getting up for quick breaks to the bathroom or for replenishing my food supply. Isn't that just insane? I mean I know its such a royal waste of time but its the one thing my A.D.D. mind can truly unwind to. I can't even fall asleep unless the TV is on and the noise of Nick at Nite works like a soothing lullaby helping me doze off.

TIVO has only made this addiction worse. Before DVR I would miss all my favorite shows, since I was never home for any of them, and not care because there was no other option. Now, knowing that I can save any show I would want to watch and have it at my dispense 24x7, makes for a long list of pointless shows that I find myself watching every free moment that I can get. I stay up waaaay past what should be my bedtime, simply because I can't resist the urge to watch that extra episode of some stupid show that i would otherwise not even know exists. Serious waste of my precious time!!!

But TV has taught me sooooo much!!! It has taught me about the culture of a country I was so new to and knew nothing about 16 years ago (given that my high school was not quite like the one in Saved by the Bell or 90210). It has taught me about drama that I thought only existed in Bollywood movies & shows. It has taught me about the Fabulous life of so many celebrities I would have never known (just more to add to things I need to buy someday that will probably not make much difference in my life except giving me the sheer joy of knowing I can afford outrageous expenses). It has taught me ways I can redo my house or cook gourmet meals (all right fine so I've never moved a table in the house but at least I know the option is there and I did use a cup once to mold rice, restaurant style, in a nice circle for my in-laws first dinner at our place ... presentation is everything). It has taught me how the universe came to be and how it may someday not be (don't you just love National Geographic & History Channels ... yes ... I do watch those sometimes). It has kept me up to date on every move Britney Spears and the American Economy have made. TV has shown me how people really live on the Hills, Big Brother, America's next top model, the Newlyweds and the Real Housewives & how they should live on the Gossip Girl, Brothers & Sisters, Hot Shots, Sex and the city, Lipstick Jungle and Desperate Housewives.

I would know nothing today if it wasn't for TV. So I think its perfectly OK for me to spend the amount of hours (the exact number shall remain undisclosed) on my favorite pass time, the wonderful world of Television.

1 comment:

raj said...

on a lighter side, it sounds like a defense for your research..:P, if you know wt I mean..ha ha!:) good one!