Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Compliment or CC???


I am THE WORST at recieving compliments. For the most part I feel like people just say things for the sake of saying them without really meaning most of it. Just like I can't be fake, I can't sing untrue praises. When I tell someone something, I really mean it ... well ... maybe not to the extent my words might imply but there's always truth to my laudation. But do most people do that???

When I'd get off stage after my bollywood dance performances and people would tell me how mine was THE BEST act or I was THE BEST dancer, I couldn't help but feel elated for the longest time. One day I overheard someone using the same words they had used to describe my performance for another girl. Now this wouldn't have been as hurtful had I not seen this girl's dance and noticed how terribly choreographed & performed her act was. I'm not claiming to be the best dancer on earth, nor am I saying that I am an expert in any way but if hers was THE BEST DANCE then was mine even better than THE BEST or was mine just as BAD? I'd rather not even think about it but at this point it was clear to me that all this adulation was not to be taken too seriously.

As most girls, I've experienced the relentless flattery from guys trying to "talk" to me. You are SO BEAUTIFUL, you are the HOTTEST girl I ever met, you have the SEXIEST body in the world, you are the FUNNEST person to hang out with, etc. I all sounds so sweet and flattering. I mean what girl doesn't want to be admired ... to be put on a pedastal ... to be glorified publicly. But when you see the same guy use the same lines on your friend the next time or maybe even the same night, you can't help but become immune to such blandishments.

This is not to say that I should ignore all compliments and be cynical about people's words. This is just to prevent myself from letting my ego inflate beyond capacity, and to take another look at the value these compliments hold in my self-assessment. Basically just so hopefully I can stay grounded and keep my ego in check ; )

--Bulbuli =)

No comments: